South Africa move on from ‘disruption’

61

JOHANNESBURG: South African captain Faf du Plessis admitted on Wednesday that Kyle Abbott’s Kolpak defection had been a disruption ahead of the third and final Test against Sri Lanka starting at the Wanderers Stadium on Thursday.

But, he said, the team had “moved on” and were fully focused on completing a clean sweep in the series.

Abbott had his Cricket South Africa contract cancelled immediately after he revealed during the second Test in Cape Town that he had signed a Kolpak contract with Hampshire, which will rule him out of future matches for South Africa.

“It’s definitely had an effect,” said Du Plessis. “It’s taken a bit of the shine off our Test series win but it’s time to move on and build a new bowling attack.”

Du Plessis said South Africa had failed to take an opportunity for a clean sweep in Australia last month.

“In international cricket you have a lot of tough times. You don’t get opportunities like this very often. It is an opportunity to do it now.”

Print Friendly
SHARE